Job Title: Outreach and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Activities (DEI) Coordinator in the Department of Earth, Planetary, and Space Sciences (EPSS), UCLA
Payroll Title: Academic Administrator IV
Appointment: 75% time
Department of Earth, Planetary, and Space Sciences (EPSS)
The UCLA Department of Earth, Planetary, and Space Sciences facilitates the discussion of issues surrounding the understanding and protection of our home in the universe through discovery, education, and outreach. EPSS promotes and facilitates an environment that is dedicated to faculty research, undergraduate and graduate education, and interdisciplinary collaborations among a variety of fields. The Department is dedicated to providing vibrant research and education by seeking fair, equitable and inclusive learning and working environments.
Strategic Planning & Development
• Create, develop, and run programs that enhance the education experience of undergraduates and graduates through programs including but not limited to bridge programs, summer research experiences for undergraduates supported by NSF and other extramural funds, and peer mentorship programs for newly arriving undergraduate and graduate students
• Coordinate and align actions and resources with the mission of the equity, diversity, and inclusion committee as well as assist in defining strategy regarding past, present, and future goals of the committee
• Develop and seek intra and extramural funding (including project conceptualization) in order to support the operation and expansion of the department’s mission
Outreach and Recruitment
• Develop, enhance, and execute strategic goals related to equity, diversity, and inclusion and assist with the marketing and advertising of our program
• Seek and maintain relationships/partnerships with community colleges of the LA Basin as well as regional Cal State campuses and HBCUs and MSIs
• Assist with recruitment campaigns at the undergraduate and graduate level with a presence at campus fairs and booths at relevant society meetings
Teaching and Mentoring
• Mentor and advise current students related to their research interests/independent studies • Teach two courses per academic year in a field related to his/her field of study
Reporting to the chair of the equity, diversity, and inclusion committee from the Department of Earth, Planetary, and Space Sciences, this position will be responsible for three broad areas: strategic planning and development, outreach and recruitment, and teaching and mentoring.
Minimum qualifications for the position are a doctorate in Geosciences or a related field. Additional qualifications might include college-level teaching experience and understanding of teaching technologies; successful project direction; knowledge of and experience in outreach and recruitment; practical and theoretical teaching/mentoring experience; commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. Previous experience in grant writing is preferred, but not required.
To apply, candidates must submit
Applications will be accepted via the UC Recruit website at (https://recruit.apo.ucla.edu/JPF06093) beginning January 29, 2021. The deadline to submit your application is February 28, 2021.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: (https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/DiscriminatioHarassmentAffirmAction).